From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Moving the system from one disk to another
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 19:05:41
1 Hi,
2
3 I have to move my whole system from one disk to another
4 bigger one.
5
6 I think of doing as follows:
7 Boot a system via CD/DVD (knoppix for example).
8 Mount small disk read-only
9 Mount bigger disk read-write
10
11 cd into mountpoint of the first one
12 cp -a . ../<mountpoint_of_bigger_disk>
13
14 Seems to me slow but correct? Or?
15
16 (I have to set the bootable flag of the correct partion
17 additionally...)
18
19 I dont want to have a booting system afterwards, which "runs" for --
20 say -- three month and suddenly hit a obscure bug due to my
21 copy-commands, which only did it to 99.87% correct... ;)
22
23 I would like to preserve as much as possible of the file/directoy
24 times ,,,
25
26 Or does a mystical command with s-tar a better job faster?
27
28 Thank you very much in adance for any help!
29
30 Best regards,
31 mcc
34 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
35 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
36 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
37 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.