From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Relocating notification popup KDE-4.5
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:57:48
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 18:35 on Tuesday 30 November 2010, Alex
2 Schuster did opine thusly:
3
4 > Alan McKinnon writes:
5 > > I "get" KDE (mostly) but some stuff is just bizarre:
6 > >
7 > > Activities. wtf are those?
8 >
9 > I tink they are really cool, although I don't use them, and probably never
10 > will. But I'm not the average user. I have six virtual desktops (current
11 > screenshots are at http://www.wonkology.org/comp/desktop/2010-11-11/ ),
12 > each one has its purpose. For each window you can define the desktop it
13 > will run on. You change the desktop, and you get new windows displayed,
14 > while the plasmoids stay the same.
15 >
16 > With activities it's the other way around. You switch the activity, and the
17 > windows stay the same, but you get different plasmoids.
18
19 That's a decent explanation, thanks a lot. I can see how some folks would like
20 that and why it's been coded.
21
22 You assume right, I'm a multiple-desktop-with-a-pager sort of guy. 6 desktops
23 and I know where I like to launch things. I mostly don't have plasmoids on the
24 desktop, mostly because I never see the desktop :-) I usually maximize most
25 windows (kontact, amarok) or split the screen 65/35 between a browser and
26 konsole. To do action X, I launch the app that does that action and most of my
27 work is in a browser and terminal
28
29 I now do have two plasmoids on the desktop - a clock that shows when the
30 screensaver comes up, and notifications, which displays the popup above all
31 regular windows.
32
33 I guess I'm just not into all this new shiny glitzy bouncey stuff. If I wanted
34 bling, I'd be using a mac ;-)
40 > For example, you have your default activity active, with some plasmoids,
41 > whatever they are. Then you want to inspect why the system is suddenly
42 > being slow, so you switch to your admin activity, which has all kinds of
43 > system monitors and loggers you normally prefer to not show up. I think
44 > that's the idea. I would just switch to desktop1 where I have some of
45 > these plasmoids, but that is my approach. Others seem to like these
46 > activities.
47 >
48 > A 3rd activity might show some newstickers and web plasmoids. While I would
49 > just switch to my desktop3, where I have this stuff.
50 >
51 > And a 4th activity could display folder views of various locations. You
52 > don't care about them normally, and use the desktop space for other things
53 > you like more. But when you want access to those folders, they are just one
54 > keystroke away.
55 >
56 > I would be surprised if you'd start using activities, I guess you're more
57 > the multiple desktop guy. But hey, as long as you don't add other
58 > activities, you don't have to care about them.
59 >
60 > I think there are further plans, like applications starting and quitting
61 > automatically when switching activities. So you put your desktop into
62 > different modes, according to the task you are currently doing. I'm doing
63 > all this stuff in parallel, so I just sort it on different desktops.
64 >
65 > There is much development going on currently, this stuff is still evolving.
66 > In 4.5.2, you had to use one activity per virtual desktop if you wanted to
67 > have different plasmoids on different desktops, or different wallpapers.
68 > This has changed, you can have different plasmoids on each desktop now
69 > (although I'm missing the 'sticky' option to have _some_ plasmoids on all
70 > desktops), and also different wallpapers. But who knows how this stuff will
71 > have evolved until KDE 4.7.
72 >
73 > Wonko
76 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com