From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] POT (partly offtopic): Firefox + Polipo + Tor switching advice needed...
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:11:03
1 On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I successfully configured firefox to work with tor over polipo.
6 > And I successfully configured firefox to work with polipo without
7 > tor.
8 >
9 > But anything I tried to conveniently switch firefox to either use
10 > tor or not to tor ended up in ugly scripts, which switch config
11 > files for polipo and/or tor before killing tor/polipo process and
12 > restart new ones ended in mess and misbehaviour.
13 >
14 > I tried torbutton and read bad things of disappearing bookmarks
15 > when doing so. I tried foxproxy and read on the torbutton homepage,
16 > that this is not save.
17 >
18 > For unknown reasons, DNS calls leaked unencrypted when using tor.
19 > Something with socks seems not to work in/with firefox?!?!?!?!
20 >
21 > I am using firefox 3.5.7.
22 >
23 > My goal is to have ONE button to safely and securely switch between
24 > firefox with and without tor both with polipo.
25 >
26 > If someone know the ultimate solution or reason, why I am to
27 > [CENSORED] to manage this task; PLEASE HELP ME! :))))
30 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
31 > Best regards,
32 > mcc
33
34 I think the safest way it to use a different user, or a virtual
35 machine, with no access to outside networks, only access to the local
36 tor (which in turn is only able to access outside or proxy). And use a
37 tor-firefox and a non-tor-firefox. Trying to switch between
38 secure/insecure on the same browser with cookies, bookmarks, etc seems
39 too dangerous if you're really using tor for secure tasks. Even if
40 you're just trying for fun beware that you don't know who is spying on
41 your data. (encrypt everything)
42
43 Also be sure to disable things like phishing site warnings, similar
44 sites recommendations, etc; it causes queries to google/whoever about
45 your current page.
46
47 I tried Tor with firefox/torbutton/privoxy/noscript and it "seemed" to
48 work. It was so slow it would take a lot of patience to do anything,
49 trying to load the same page took several tries. It seemed like it can
50 only perform 1 network thread at a time. I don't know if it's a limit
51 of tor or privoxy or some configuration problem on my side.