From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 15:17:48
1 On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:57:55PM -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I'm just going to try and buy another 3TB drive as soon as I can. I may
4 > even make it into a removable thingy. Then I can make backups and just
5 > put it in a outbuilding. By the way, my outbuilding is pretty far from
6
7 For such use, I am planning to get an external SATA dock, rather than use
8 a “removable thingy”. You pop in the naked drive and stow that away after
9 you’re done. This has multiple advantages. For one, you can read SMART data
10 from the external drives, provided you use a SATA connection. Cou can’t do
11 that over USB. So if your board has an eSATA connector, get an external dock
12 such as <http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1277>.
13 If it doesn’t, you can get an internal one for a 5¼″ slot in the front of
14 your case, like http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1281 for one 3.5″ HDD, or
15 http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/sata-qp-intern-multi for both big and
16 small HDDs (plus some USB3 connectors, if your case doesn’t have them but
17 your board provides a header).
18
19 Those docks are only slightly more expensive than an external case, but you
20 can use them for all your drives, not just a single one, and you have no
21 hassle with countless external power supplies (“which one did go into which
22 case?”).
23
24 PS: I’m not saying you should get a Sharkoon, after all I haven’t bought it
25 yet myself. But their site shows nicely what’s available and gives me ideas.
26 --
27 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
28 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
29
30 Please don’t befuddle me with facts, my mind is set.