From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Frontier ADSL modem and IP address
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 11:03:21
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 31 December 2019 01:25:32 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I found out the name and such from the previous user. I couldn't see the
5 >> password tho. Anyway, it seems this is locked to Frontier ISP. I put in
6 >> the right user name/password and it wouldn't connect. It tried but no joy.
7 >>
8 >> Before I bought this, it was claimed that this should work with AT&T but
9 >> unless I got something wrong, it doesn't. Shame really, pretty nice
10 >> modem. The screens give pretty nicely laid out info about things too.
11 > I'm puzzled. Why should a DSL modem be tied to a particular ISP? The only
12 > thing I can think of is that one uses PPPoA and the other PPPoE. But the modem
13 > should sort that out for itself when it connects upstream.
17 I dunno for sure.  I just know that some are Frontier and some are
18 AT&T.  I didn't notice the Frontier part, never heard of that ISP
19 before, so I bought that version.  Thing is, looking at the pics on
20 ebay, the info on the bottom is a little different.  For one, the AT&T
21 versions have the IP address on it.  The Frontier versions don't.  I'm
22 not sure but it seems the models are just a little different as well.
23 That makes me think there is a hardware difference.  Maybe they use a
24 different frequency or something??
25
26 Either way, it doesn't work.  Once I get the one labeled AT&T, I'll be
27 able to know for sure.  I'm 99.99% sure I have the right password.  The
28 one I have coming will verify that as well.  If it works, right
29 login/password which pretty much leads me to believe the Frontier won't
30 work with AT&T.
31
32 I'm hoping to get the router that was discussed in another thread
33 shortly.  Maybe then I'll be IPv6 ready.  ;-)
34
35 Dale
36