From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OFF-TOPIC] Best bios type thingy to boot a computer
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 14:46:27
1 Hi all,
2 A bit of an off topic question , mainly aimed at those who, shall we
3 say, been there and done that.
4
5 It is very common to find webpages stating that the BIOS that is in a
6 PC is a mess with respect to the way things boot, device discovery etc.
7 Looking back through the fog of time, would anyone like to point me at
8 something that gets a computer from a not running state to a running
9 state and, in their opinion, does it the "right" way, in an elegant,
10 extensible way.
11
12 This is not to start a flame war, I just want to do some reading,
13 wikipedia pages, for self interest on how a BIOS could have/should have
14 been done. I'm thinking of how DECStations, Alpha's SPARCs etc etc
15 booted up.
16
17 Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
18