From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] keyboard lighting control?
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 02:07:49
1 On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 23 February 2011 23:05:50 Stroller wrote:
3 >> On 21/2/2011, at 8:20pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >> >> ...
5 >> >> You didn't say which groovy new laptop's keyboard you are trying to make
6 >> >> light up, so I can only guess that SENSORS_APPLESMC may well do the
7 >> >> trick for you,
8 >> >
9 >> > Ah, if that makes a difference is a Asus G73JW. Assuming I enable that
10 >> > kernel option is there a user space app that will allow my 83 year old
11 >> > gaming mom to turn the lights off and on?
12 >>
13 >> SENSORS_APPLESMC
14 >> SENSORS_APPLE
15 >> APPLE
16 >> Mac
17 >>
18 >> No, I don't think so.
19 >
20 > It seems my message didn't make it to the list, but once the Asus declaration
21 > was made by the OP, I suggested differently of course:
22 >
23 > ===================================================
24 > I see ... in that case you should try instead enabling:
25 >
26 > CONFIG_ASUS_LAPTOP
27 >
28 > I think that Fn+F3/F4 adjusts the keyboard backlight.  Look at the help page
29 > in make menuconfig.
30 >
31 > HTH.
32 > ===================================================
33 > --
34 > Regards,
35 > Mick
36 >
37 Providing some feedback, enabling the ASUS_LAPTOP option at least
38 enabled the lights and made a couple of the function key work, how it
39 seems that most function keys so far do nothing that I can determine.
40
41 The acpi4asus link provided by Paul is likely part of the solution
42 also but the instructions make a point of writing your own config file
43 and nowhere to be found yet are any examples of what to put in that
44 file. (But I really haven't looked much either.)
45
46 Anyway, the machine is working well enough to ship off to my mom so I
47 think she'll be pretty happy with it. Wish I had one of these babies.
48 Quite nice.
49
50 Cheers,
51 Mark