From: Patrick May <patrick@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Help finding a tv tuner card's chipset
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 06:39:45
1 On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 03:17:14PM -0500, forgottenwizard wrote:
2 > On 13:41 Sat 29 Sep , Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > > On 2007-09-29, forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > Since I'm using cable, I figure if I need to, in 17 month I
6 > > > can get a converter, or afford to buy a better card.
7 > >
8 > > If you're using cable, you may not need to. Cable companies
9 > > are free to continue distributing analog signals as long as
10 > > they want.
11 > >
12 > > --
13 > > Grant Edwards grante Yow! I need to discuss
14 > > at BUY-BACK PROVISIONS
15 > > visi.com with at least six studio
16 > > SLEAZEBALLS!!
17 > >
18 > > --
19 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
23 > Good to know. Right now I'm down to finding a working app (mplayer only
24 > seems to work so far, and it doesn't seem to work quite right).
25
26 Grant is correct. The digital switch only applies to OTA (Over the Air). Cable
27 operators could do whatever they want.
28
29 Not sure why the PVR-150 isn't just working out of the box for you. I know
30 there were some complaints about Hauppauge quietly putting another device in
31 the box. And that's because of the switch over. As of March 1, 2007
32 manufacturers had to include a digital tuner if they included an analog tuner.
33 This included computer interface cards as well. I believe the new Hauppauge is
34 a PVR-1600 with dual tuner (NTSC & ATSC).
35
36 Good luck.
37
38 Patrick