From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: To be mesa or not to be mesa...
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 03:58:42
1 On Donnerstag 25 Juni 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 06/25/2009 05:51 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > short question:
6 > > I am using an nvidia graphics card GeForce (7600 GT (rev a2)) with
7 > > the nvidia drivers.
8 > > Do I need mesa to be installed (I am heavily using OpenGL with
9 > > Blender...)
10 >
11 > You only need mesa if portage tells you so. In other words, most
12 > probably yes, since it's an important dependency of many packages. If
13 > however on your system it happens not to be a dependency of anything,
14 > then you don't need it.
15 >
16 > To check, simply edit /var/lib/portage/world and delete the line
17 >
18 > media-libs/mesa
19 >
20 > if it exists. If "emerge -p --depclean" wants to unmerge mesa, then you
21 > don't need it. Just make sure to run revdep-rebuild afterwards to make
22 > sure to packages were broken by this.
23
24 in the past a lot of packages needed mesa to compile even if they would run
25 with nvidia's or ati's opengl just fine.