From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo server installation
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:05:07
1 On Friday 10 June 2011 12:13:22 Perenaster wrote:
2 > Hey,
3 > I dont't know if this is the right list I'm writing to but I want to use
4 > Gentoo as server. My aim is a small as possible installation of an OS with
5 > only the modules I want. So I thought Gentoo might be the OS of choice. Is
6 > it suitable for an server or should I look for an other distro?
7 > Is there anything in particular that I have to mention at the installation?
8 > Thanks in advance,
9 > Tom
10
11 Hi Tom,
12
13 Gentoo is quite usable as a Server. I use it as such myself.
14
15 The installation itself is the same wether it's for desktop or server. The
16 only difference is which packages you install once it's running.
17 If you follow the handbook you end up with a working system where you can
18 install the software you need/want. What will be missing, compared to most
19 other distributions, are things like a graphical desktop.
20 For a server, this is not necessary and is also not found on my server.
21
22 What is usefull to consider is what the server is going to be used for. With
23 this, I mean, to consider if using a "hardened" profile would be advisable. If
24 yes, it's best to start with that rather then to convert your installation
25 afterwards.
26
27 And I'm sure others on this list will have plenty of ideas as well.
30 Joost