From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Moving root filesystem to a new partition [SOLVED]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:08:56
1 I found the email from some years ago, advising to bind mount / and copy
2 /dev to the new partition from the bind mounted / partition. It worked
3 again this time. Thank you again.
4
5 Alan
6
7 On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@×××××.com> wrote:
8
9 > Can someone tell me what steps are necessary to move the / filesystem to a
10 > new partition? I recall someone helping me with this before, but cannot
11 > find the email. The oldest of three drives on my system had my / partition,
12 > /dev/sdc1. One day recently, that partition became inaccessable. After
13 > quickly installing Ubuntu on a different drive, that root partition
14 > eventually showed up again.
15 >
16 > So I've been able to boot Gentoo again off the separate /boot partition on
17 > /dev/sda1. I need to move that / partition. I have several other
18 > partitions mounted off this one, mainly as /usr and maybe /usr/local/, and
19 > some storage partitions mounted to my home directory.
20 >
21 > I copied the root (/) partition with the new partition at /dev/sdb5 mounted
22 > as /newroot, using
23 > # cp -ax / /newroot
24 >
25 > I checked that /proc, /dev, and /sys are there, and empty. I recall there
26 > are some other steps necessary. I changed /etc/fstab, and the grub2
27 > grub.cfg from ubuntu, the entry for this kernel. The boot stalls at a
28 > certain point.
29 >
30 > May I ask what steps are necessary to do this?
31 >
32 > Thank you,
33 >
34 > Alan Davis