From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] dispatch-conf spells disaster
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 02:13:38
1 Hello group,
2
3 As I expected it would, dispatch-conf
4 over-wrote/corrupted a lot of files without giving me
5 a chance to stop it. It left no log(file was empty)in
6 /var/log/dispatch-conf.log. or any record of its
7 passing that I can find.
8
9 Worst of all I can no longer dialout.
10 /dev/ttyS0(external modem on COM1) no longer exists
11 although in udev-rules the rule exists to create
12 /dev/ttyS*. But there is no such thing under /dev.
13 Attempts to dial-out lead to "unrecognized option
14 'dev/ttyS0'"
15
16 Speaking of udev, according to
17
18 http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/LinuxHelp_UDEVPrimer.html
19
20 the only thing I left out of my setup was
21
22 #rc-update add hotplug boot.
23
24 So I did it, but it didn't help. Under "PPP Device" on
25 that same page it says to
26
27 #mknod -m 660 /dev/ppp c 108 0
28
29 But that didn't work either.
30
31 FWIW this all took place after emerge
32 baselayout-1.12.5-r1 which issued a warning to
33
34 /bin/ls /etc/init.d/net.* | grep -v '/net.lo$' | xargs
35 -n1 ln -svfn net.lo
36
37 Could that have done it?
38
39 Also /dev/parport0 no longer exists, or /dev/lp*.
40
41 Further, could it be this has nothing to do with
42 dispatch-conf at all. Afterall, a check of /etc/*conf
43 shows many files with the timestamp corresponding to
44 emerge baselayout's timestamp in portage. I didn't run
45 #dispatch-conf for another 5 mins after that.
46
47 -Maxim
48
50 Do You Yahoo!?
51 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
52 http://mail.yahoo.com
53 --
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list