From: Michael Holmes <holmesmich@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB mass storage device slow in Gentoo, fast in Windows...?
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 08:01:59
1 2009/12/27 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>:
2 > On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Hung Dang <hungptit@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 12/26/09 15:54, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> I got a Nokia N900 linux internet tablet/phone a few days ago, and
7 >>> when I connect it in USB Mass Storage mode to a Windows Vista computer
8 >>> I can write at 17MB/sec, but when I connect it to my Gentoo box my
9 >>> writes are really slow, between 500-900kb/sec depending on if I mount
10 >>> in "sync" mode or not. As far as I know it should be just a totally
11 >>> standard/generic mass storage device. (there were no drivers or
12 >>> software install needed in windows, it just worked)
13 >>>
14 >>> Other USB devices plugged into the same port go full speed, and AFAIK
15 >>> everything appears as if it should be high speed USB 2.0. Has anyone
16 >>> seen something like this before? I'm not sure what the deal is. It
17 >>> takes 20 minutes to copy 1 gigabyte from Linux and takes just under 1
18 >>> minute to do the same in Windows.
19 >>>
20 >>> I'm not sure about debugging USB or what the options are. Everything
21 >>> I've used previously has worked without any hassle.
22 >> Have you received a lot of debugging messages at the output of dmesg
23 >> when copying files?
24 >>
25 >> Hung
26 >
27 > No errors, no strange messages at all, it seems normal (only slow). I
28 > have other USB devices like SD card reader, external HDD, and they
29 > perform at full speed when plugged into the same port, so it's weird
30 > to me.
31 >
32 > Thanks
33 > Paul
37 This isn't that helpful, but in Windows I get good thoroughputs in
38 mass storage mode, but compartively weak ones in sync mode. But this
39 shouldn't be the problem because as far as I know, there are no
40 ync-mode drivers for good old Linux (which is ironic if you consider
41 it).