From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: replacement for ftp?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 04:58:28
1 On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 1:40 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 01 May 2017 22:36:00 Nils Freydank wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 30 Apr 2017 19:04:06 +0200 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
4 >> > [...]
5 >> > I fail to see why FTP needs to be replaced: it works, it is
6 >> > supported, it is secure when used with care, it is damn fast.
7 >>
8 >> I’ll just drop the somewhat popular rant “FTP must die“[1] and a follow-up
9 >> discussion about it[2]. IMHO the main reasons are missing data integrity and
10 >> authentication security issues. The latter one can be solved with FTPS[3] -
11 >> but honestly I never saw FTPS somewhere actually used in the wild.
12 >
13 > I'm not sure what you mean "used in the wild". I use lftp to connect via ftps
14 > with a number of webservers for updates and backups on a daily basis. Some of
15 > the connections are scripted.
18 >> [1] http://mywiki.wooledge.org/FtpMustDie
19 >> [2] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11251907
20 >> [3] i.e. FTP over SSL/TLS (not to mix up with SFTP, which comes from the SSH
21 >> family)
22 >>
23 >> Greetings,
24 >> Nils
27 That was an interesting read. The only RFC as bad as FTP's that I know
28 of might be IRC's.