From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Self-signed certificate & Apache
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 14:24:26
1 Hello list,
2
3 Almost there now...
4
5 After receiving help from Mick K and the list (thanks again!) I've now some
6 idea of what I'm doing.
7
8 I've installed OwnCloud to be served over SSL. I've followed the instructions
9 here[1] to create a self-signed certificate, which is in two files: cloud.crt
10 and cloud.key. I put both of those under /etc/apache2/private. I ignored the
11 vague references to intermediate files. The command I gave was:
12
13 # openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout cloud.key -out
14 cloud.crt
15
16 Now when I start Apache I get this warning, twice:
17
18 RSA server certificate is a CA certificate (BasicConstraints: CA == TRUE !?)
19
20 Is this to be expected, or is anyone visiting (none expected though) likely to
21 think I'm masquerading as a certification authority?
22
23 [1] http://www.sslshopper.com/article-how-to-create-and-install-an-apache-self-signed-certificate.html
26 Regards
27 Peter