From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Setting a fixed nameserver for openvpn
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 18:41:21
1 Howdy,
2
3 I use Surfshark and every once in a while, my VPN loses its connection.
4 I sent the info from messages to Surfshark but the info they sent back
5 on how to set the nameserver info doesn't really work with Gentoo.  I
6 suspect they are used to systemd stuff.  Anyway, I tried to follow in a
7 more Gentoo way but it still didn't work.  Then I googled, searched the
8 Gentoo wiki and tried some of those things, still refuses to use the
9 manually entered nameserver.  I've tried resolv.conf, resolvconf.conf
10 and resolv.conf-tun0.sv.  I installed openresolv to see if that would
11 help.  Nope.
12
13 I might add, a lot of this stuff is written for people using systemd and
14 I use openrc here.  I found one that had I think the right info but
15 neglected to name the file that needed to be edited, sounds like
16 something I'd do really.  lol
17
18 This is what I got from Surfshark:
19
20 > I would recommend changing the DNS addresses on your Linux device. You
21 > can simply do that by following the steps below.
22 >
23 > First, you need to open the terminal with the CTRL + ALT + T
24 > combination and type in the following commands:
25 > sudo rm -r /etc/resolv.conf
26 > sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
27 >
28 > You will be asked for your root password after each command line, so
29 > just type it in and press enter. When the text editor opens, you will
30 > have to type in these lines:
31 > nameserver xxx.xxx.172.57
32 > nameserver xxx.xxx.159.92
33
34 I edited the file they say with kwrite.  Even after I restart openvpn,
35 the IP they want is there but it doesn't use it according to the site
36 they sent for me to check it with.  It shows other IP addresses.  I'm
37 sure I'm missing something, likely something simple, but I can't figure
38 out how to make it work.  I don't know if it is because I'm using openrc
39 or what.
40
41 Anyone have a idea on how to make this work?
42
43 Thanks.
44
45 Dale
46
48
49 P. S.  I edited the IP address above.  I'm not sure if those are public
50 or not.