From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Black Screen of Death
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:41:35
1 On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 06:58:08PM +0000, John wrote:
2 > Whenever I logout my machine crashes to a black screen and is
3 > unresponsive. I cannot get into any terminals and have to
4 > reboot. It is a problem with my nvidia-drivers - have
5 > uninstalled nvidia-drivers and used X11 "nv" drivers and all
6 > works fine.
7 > Tried various login managers and still the same issue. Use xfce.
8 > Machine shuts down ok but only happens when I logout and wish
9 > to change user.
10 >
11 > Any help would be appreciated
14 Anything in Xorg logs? System logs?
15
16 How hard is the lock-up? Is it just the terminal (can you ssh into the
17 machine? does it respond to pings?)? Is it a kernel thing?
18
19 What about other (older) versions of nVidia drivers? Which card and
20 which driver are you using now?
21
22 W
23 --
24 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
25 408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
26 A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.