From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Lowest common denominator compile
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 20:33:09
1 On 04/09/2017 22:16, Grant wrote:
2 >> I have a network of very nearly identical Dell XPS 13 laptops that I
3 >> manage with a script. The master pushes the contents of its
4 >> filesystem to the others so I only have to manage one system. It's
5 >> worked really well over several years. I just got a new Dell XPS 13
6 >> to serve as the master and there have been some changes that were
7 >> difficult to integrate with the network (high-res screen, /dev/sda
8 >> replaced with /dev/nvme0n0) but those problems are fixed thanks to you
9 >> guys.
10 >>
11 >> Now I'm running into "trap invalid opcode" errors on the older
12 >> systems. Can I disable some of the newer CPU instruction sets on the
13 >> master laptop when compiling to hopefully generate binaries that will
14 >> work on the older systems? If so, could anyone point me in the right
15 >> direction? I don't want to use distcc please.
16 >>
17 >> CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
18 >> CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
21 > Switching to -mtune=native seems to work. Time for an emerge -e world.
22
23 Also time for ansible. Why you managing a fleet of machines with a
24 script that won't actually differentiate properly between machines? It
25 will sorts mostly do it right, except when you forget something.
26
27 This is exactly the use-case ansible was designed for: declarative,
28 idempotent, predictable management of a fleet of machines that may or
29 may not be around when you feel like updating something (so it catches
30 up later), and needs only sshd and python to do it's magic :-)
31
32 Never mind that ansible was written with servers in mind; in terms of
33 management where you do $STUFF_THAT_NEEDS_MANAGING, there is no
34 difference between servers and laptops. A computer is still just a computer.
35
36 </me also laments the lack of poudriere on Gentoo. But that's for
37 another time>
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com