From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gentoo alternatives
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 08:09:13
1 I'm looking for a gentoo alternative and am surprised to see that google
2 chrome os is based on gentoo.
3
4 Does anybody have any experience with this?
5
6 Do they support multi-media and basic modern desktop capabilities?  I
7 see that there's some concentration on a special browser, but I'd be
8 running Firefox and FVWM anyway.
9
10 Do they use /portage/ and source packages?
11
12 Do they push down every single upstream modification, like gentoo does,
13 or maybe have a bit of hysteresis?
14
15 I updated on May first and built firefox 78.10.*0*.  2+ days of
16 building.  I updated on June first and built firefox  78.10.*1*. and
17 spent 2+ days building.  I updated today because of the same old slot
18 collision problems I've run into over a year
19
20 dev-python/setuptools:0
21 dev-python/setuptools_scm:0
22 dev-python/toml:0
23 dev-python/certifi:0
24 dev-python/jinja:0
25 dev-python/markupsafe:0
26
27 and now, on the 7th, I'm building firefox 78.11.   I just don't have the
28 time for this.  It impacts my machines too much.
29
30 Yes, I know, there are binary versions, but if I wanted to use binary, I
31 wouldn't use gentoo.  And anyway, there's always rust and gcc and ...