From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Limiting portage sync
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:34:42
1 On Tue, 20 May 2008 02:09:26 +0100, Matt Harrison wrote:
2
3 > I was just wondering, while watching an emerge --sync, is it possible
4 > (or advisable) to limit what portage syncs? For example, I have a
5 > server here that doesn't use X, kde, gnome, java, and a number of other
6 > fairly large areas of portage. It would be nice if I could speed up
7 > syncing by excluding these categories from the process.
8
9 It is possible, by setting PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS in make.conf to add
10 --exclude options to mask out the directories you don't want. As for
11 being advisable, it depends on whether you are prepared to risk and
12 breakage this may incur, but unless you do anything silly, you should be
13 able to fix any damage by undoing the change and syncing again.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 If your VCR still flashes 12:00 - then Linux is not for you.