From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 14:17:22
1 On 03/02/2014 16:04, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 >
3 > On Jan 28, 2014 5:57 AM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@××××××××××.uk
4 > <mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk>> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:54:28 +0100, hasufell wrote:
7 >>
8 >> > >> If it's about performance (in the sense of speed), then paludis
9 >> > >> is worse, because dependency calculation is more complex/complete
10 >> > >> there.
11 >> > >
12 >> > > That makes no sense at all. Paludis is written in a different
13 >> > > language using different algorithms. It's not about the amount of
14 >> > > work it does so much as how efficiently it does it.
15 >>
16 >> > That's exactly what I was saying. I was talking about speed, not
17 >> > efficiency.
18 >>
19 >> But the efficiency of the algorithm, and the language, affects the speed.
20 >> You can't presume "it does more, therefore it takes longer" if the two
21 >> programs do things in very different ways.
24 > I was thinking: is it feasible, to "precalculate" the dependency tree?
25 > Or, at least "preprocess" all the sane (and insane) dependencies to help
26 > portage?
29 I thought that's what the portage cache does, as far as it can.
30
31 True, the cache reflects the state of the tree and not the parts of the
32 tree a given machine is using, so how big a diff does that give? And
33 don't forget overlays - they can slow things down immensely as more
34 often than not there's no cache for them unless the user knows to do it
35 manually.
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com