From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 14:53:02
1 On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 04:30:02PM +0200, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 12 May 2011 07:54:13 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 > > I just hope they also learned from their mistakes. Dropping KDE3
5 > > support long before KDE4 was ready was a big one. That shouldn't be
6 > > repeated.
7 >
8 > If it's as good as everyone says, what more support did it need? Did the
9 > KDE guys come knocking on your door to remove it, or do it remotely
10 > (Android anyone?), or did it just keep working?
13 That argument is probably valid when limiting the scope of the
14 discussion to gentoo, but the only use I ever had for kde3 was
15 for non-techie users who wouldn't know whether to poop or go
16 blind if they click on something and nothing happens (or the worng
17 thing happens). I had all but two on openSuse and the rest on Kubuntu
18 in the kde3 days, but kde3 is nowhere near as idiot-proof now on
19 either of those distros. I do not want to support non-techie users using
20 obscure, deprecated, unmaintained code for something as critical as
21 their DE! It's hard enough when everything works as advertised...
22
23 To be honest, I haven't quite worked up the courage to
24 put any users on gentoo, though it's become the only distro I feel
25 really good about using. If we had more uniform hardware it would
26 be a lot less daunting and I'd have probably done it already, but
27 the idea of having to manage so many individual builds is just
28 highly suboptimal.
29
30 > I'd say that you got excellent value for money, and a lot more support
31 > for an EOL product than you paid for. Yes, it would have been nice if they
32 > had waited until KDE4 was a little more polished before EOLing KDE3, but
33 > who would have paid for two dev teams?
36 Yes, but you should have heard the wailing and gnashing of teeth of the
37 non-tech users, it was like being surrounded by 8000 drunken harpies and
38 it lasted almost three months til they finally resigned themselves to
39 xfce. I will not go through that again.
42 caveat utilitor