From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 10:56:01
1 lego12239@××××××.ru wrote:
2 > On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 04:44:10AM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> If you do a emerge -ea world, you will see changes that emerge -uaDN
5 >> world won't because it considers every package on the system.  When you
6 >> do emerge -uaDN world, it only looks for changes/updates to the world
7 >> file and what they depend on but only to a point.  There is a huge
8 >> difference.
9 >>
10 >> Run them both and observe the difference.  For a dev, that difference
11 >> can reveal something important.
12 > I understand that. But in the context of our conversation(static vs dynamic
13 > linking), if i understand correctly portage, "emerge -e @world" rebuild all
14 > static-linked packages and all dynamic-linked packages. It simply rebuild
15 > *all* packages in any case, right? So, there is no difference between
16 > calling "emerge -e @world" against dynamic-linked packages or static-linked
17 > packages. Thus, i can't understand why we talk about "emerge -e" at all.
18 > May be i understand something wrong.
22 I've had times where software would not work correctly.  Even after
23 searching with google, asking on this list and other means of tying to
24 figure out why, nothing is found.  There is no obvious reason for the
25 software not to work.  Even re-emerging the package doesn't help any.
26 When I run into that, I run emerge -e world in order to rebuild every
27 package, regardless of how or even if it uses linking in any way.
28 Almost every time I do that, the software starts working.  Obviously,
29 something was broken.  Odds are, something wasn't built against a
30 library correctly or some sort of linking was broken.
31
32 Also, I've ran emerge -e world after doing a emerge -uaDN world and it
33 turn up a number of new packages or new updates to be done.  Sometimes,
34 emerge -uaDN doesn't catch everything.  Since Michael is a developer, he
35 likely does things we don't normally do or maybe ever do in order to
36 catch problems.  Some developers just take pride in what they do and try
37 to do it right and do every test they can to make sure things work as
38 they should.  Some are quite good at it.
39
40 You were the one who asked about emerge -e world.  I'm just trying to
41 give some possible reasons for it.  There's quite a few to chose from.
42 I'm sure Michael could add a few more as well.
43
44 Dale
45