From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: Gentoo-User ML <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] automounting usb drives
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 13:05:50
1 Am Fri, 25 Feb 2011 23:31:07 -0200
2 schrieb luis jure <ljc@××××××××××××.uy>:
3
4 > hello list,
5
6 Hi,
7
8 > i'm old-fashioned and i never cared for this automount thing, but now i
9 > have two pen drives and two usb hard disks that i have to mount and umount
10 > all the time, and doing it by hand every time is beginning to be very
11 > annoying...
12 >
13 > i see that distributions like ubuntu and others have this feature by
14 > default: you plug in a pen drive and it creates a mount point under /media
15 > and mounts the device there. but i have no idea to get something like that
16 > working on my gentoo machine. i searched the web, but the documents i
17 > found on the subject are somewhat contradictory and all of them too old
18 > for comfort.
19 >
20 > any hints about a standard "gentoo way" to achieve this?
21 >
22 > by the way, i use xfce, so i can't use tools specific for kde or gnome, if
23 > they exist.
24
25 It seems that for Xfce you want the Thunar Volume Manager plugin
26 (xfce-extra/thunar-volman):
27 http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/thunar-plugins/thunar-volman
28
29 Otherwise, I know of three modern (i.e. udev or udisks based) desktop
30 independent ways for auto-mounting:
31 - uam
32 A udev based auto-mounter. It doesn't mount CD/DVD/etc. drives (because, well,
33 it's udev-based), but otherwise worked flawlessly on my machine.
34 - udiskie
35 A udisks based auto-mounter, doesn't work properly for me, i.e. one of
36 my USB sticks wouldn't mount, apparently because udisks flagged it as
37 non-automountable.
38 - udisks-glue
39 A udisks based tool that can execute arbitrary commands on udisks events, e.g.
40 auto-mount disks.
41
42 (My personal preference is currently udisks-glue.)
43
44 HTH
45 --
46 Marc Joliet