From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drive RPMs and data speed.
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:20:04
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Oh, and one other thing; hdparm is only meant to get you the continuous I/O
3 > transfer rate.  It's an awful benchmark for anything else, like what happens
4 > if a file is fragmented or how fast it can copy/write data spread around the
5 > disk, how good it is at combined random I/O operation, etc.
6
7 For that kind of information, go with bonnie++
8
9 I've little else to add to the thread, except that I ran three Seagate
10 1.5TB 'green' drives in RAID5 for quite a while with very nice
11 perforance results. Access times were comfy, and I tended to get about
12 60MB/s continuous read and write speed. I hadn't learned about
13 bonnie++ yet, so I don't have any good benchmarks to show on that
14 front.
17 :wq