From: Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 22:03:08
1 In linux.gentoo.user, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-09-29 4:09 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 29/09/2013 19:59, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> I've been told that this shouldn't be a big deal... while I am a
5 >>> (barely) passable linux sys admin
6 >>
7 >> Allow me to forward an opinion. The above is not true, not even close.
8 >>
9 >> Don't knock yourself, you don't deserve it :-)
10 >
11 > Lol!!! At first I thought you were saying that it wasn't true that
12 > merging /usr into / shouldn't be a big deal - and I was about to start
13 > gnashing my teeth (again).
14 >
15 > Thanks Alan, your words are very kind... and I'll just leave it at
16 > that... ;)
17
18 I've just changed one of my machines so that /usr is now part of the
19 root filesystem. Like you, I had a separate /usr filesystem. Unlike you
20 I've been running an initramfs for many years because:
21
22 a) I'm running laptops and like them to have pretty graphical boot
23 screens and no "ugly writing" appearing during the boot sequence. It's
24 silly, I know, but it still looks pretty. The initramfs will start up
25 "bootsplash" 8-)
26
27 b) The important reason I need an initramfs is that I have my root
28 filesystems on LVM partitions (except for my ARM servers). I've never
29 has a scrap of trouble with the genkernel initramfs builds, despite
30 myriad updates over the years. I've had minor niggles with display but
31 nothing critical.
32
33 So while I've run an initramfs for many years, now it has had to mount
34 /usr before the "pivot_root" command. This has led to the problem that
35 /usr is no longer able to be fscked because it is already mounted, and I
36 cannot for the life of me, get the genkernel initramfs to fsck the /usr
37 filesystem before mounting. I've had to manually fsck the /usr
38 filesystem by running my minimal install CD. There are probably ways to
39 do this (like fscking /usr on shutdown, which I couldn't get working)
40 but I'm sick of looking for them. I've bit the bullet and changed things
41 over. It went without a hitch.
42
43 Here's what I did:
44
45 I added a new LVM volume group and added a "slash" filesystem (10Gb), a
46 "usrsrc" filesystem for my kernels (10Gb), a "portage" filesystem (3Gb),
47 a "distfiles" filesystem (15Gb) and a "packages" filesystem (10Gb).
48 Because these are on LVM they can be adjusted upwards or downwards
49 depending on usage. I updated /etc/default/grub so that the new kernel
50 command line will find my new "slash" LVM volume, and ran the grub2
51 installer to make the change valid.
52
53 I then shut down the machine, booted my minimal install CD, used LVM to
54 find my filesystems. I then mounted my new "slash" and mounted the new
55 filesystems.
56
57 I also decided to move portage, distfiles and packages to the old /var
58 partition but to do so I first had to mount them in their old positions
59 on /usr/portage /usr/portage/distfiles etc... Once done, I mounted the
60 old "slash" and the old "/usr" (with included distfiles and packages and
61 portage) then did the "cp -av <old hierarchy> <new hierarchy>". It was
62 then possible to unmount distfiles, packages and portage and then move
63 them to /var (mount /var and mkdir /var/portage /var/distfiles and
64 /var/packages) I altered the new "slash" fstab. I then rebooted without
65 a hitch. Oh, I also had to update /etc/portage/make.conf and the
66 "make.profile" symlink to reflect the change.
67
68 It seems complicated but every step was logical. Having my root
69 filesystem on LVM has made the change more complicated than it should
70 have been, but it still was quite easy to do and downtime was minimal.
71
72 I don't feel like I've been "forced" to do anything. I'm grateful for
73 the Gentoo devs and their hard work over the years. This upstream change
74 is just a small bump in the long Gentoo road. If I didn't agree with the
75 change then it would be up to me to find a way to get my system to work
76 without an initramfs, not the Gentoo Devs... after all, this IS open
77 source. Be grateful that the Gentoo Devs are still willing to volunteer
78 their time building this great distribution.
81 Regards,
82 Gregory.