From: Jonathan <winelauncher.jonathan@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: dwnoon@××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How many ways are there for a user to increase their permissions?
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 21:33:56
1 On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 21:45:57 +0100
2 David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > In fact, POSIX capabilities are a mechanism to *reduce* a program's
5 > permissions, not increase them.
6
7 It's true that Linux "capabilities" are used to replace SUID and that does reduce the programs permissions.
8 On the other hand programs like Wine. Which no one would never run with SUID could be run with CAP_NET_RAW.
9 That would be a increase in permissions. Wine needs to be able to ping because some program need to use IPX[1],
10 Like Red Alert 2. Someone has made a patch for Red Alert 2 to use TCP/IP and I can not think of another program off the top of my head.
11
12 That information came from "man 7 capabilities". So I guess it's all about how you look at it.
13
14 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internetwork_Packet_Exchange