From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel config hell
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 19:49:49
1 Am Samstag, 27. Dezember 2008 15:11:34 schrieb Harry Putnam:
2 > Summary of request for help:
3 >
4 > Are there hardcore kernel builders in the house who can steer me to
5 > a faster way of figuring out what the installed modules do... for
6 > sure.
7
8 What could help you here is a "make xconfig". It's similar to "make
9 menuconfig" but has a nice QT user interface. I would recommend to browse
10 through it once and look at the help texts which are shown in the lower right
11 pane for each option you klick. Based on this information, you can then decide
12 wether or not to enable that option or even compile it as module.
13
14 > Details:
15 > I'm at a point where any pared down kernel config I've built and tried
16 > has some terrible thing wrong with it. Usually involving udev and
17 > openrc someway or other... things not getting started or mounted etc
18 > etc.
19
20 With udev, those things usually work automatically. However, you must make
21 sure that everything needed for accessing the root filesystem must be compiled
22 into the kernel. That usually includes the driver for the chipset that
23 operates your harddisks, harddisk support and the filesystem used for /.
24
25 > I'd think there would be some kind of cross reference somewhere that
26 > would connect module names to what they do, and what .config options
27 > are associated.
28
29 I don't know of any. But in most cases, the module name is listed in the help
30 text.
31
32 > Another path is to find the *.ko names in /lib/modules and use the
33 > absolute name to track them down in the kernel sources where there is
34 > usually a README of some sort in the tree leading to the *.ko.
35
36 Somtimes, you can also simply guess by module name, for example: joydev.ko ->
37 Joy(stick)Dev(ice).
38
39 > But my god what a slow and painful way to find out what these modules
40 > do.
41
42 Yes, that's true. The browsing method may give you a rough overview within an
43 hour or two.
44
45 > Just rmmod is another way but again a very slow and painful way.
46 > Maybe a module is used only occasionally and rmmodding may not show
47 > what it was for right away. What ever fails may not happen
48 > immediately.
49
50 Or try modprobe + dmesg instead. Usually a driver module tells wether it has
51 found some pice of supported hardware or not.
52
53 HTH...
54
55 Dirk