From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : a few small queries
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 22:54:41
1 On Saturday 15 Sep 2012 01:27:04 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I've got my new machine basically habitable with a few small problems.
3 >
4 > (1) In Fluxbox, Gkrellm insists on starting on Desktop 1 ;
5 > on my existing machine with the same config files, it starts on Desktop 8 .
6 > There must be some setting somewhere which has got changed.
7
8 Perhaps something like:
9
10 [app] (name=gkrellm)
11 [Workspace] {0}
12 [end]
13
14 instead of:
15
16 [Workspace] {7}
17
18 in your ~/.fluxbox/apps file? Or may be you have a [Jump] {yes} command in
19 there too? Not sure if something similar in ~/.fluxbox/startup could cause
20 this symptom, so have a look in there just in case.
23 > (2) Luxi Mono is not coming out cleanly in Gvim or (Xfce) Terminal :
24 > IIRC there's a pkg or a setting somewhere to fix it,
25 > but I can't find it in my extensive notes from the past.
26 >
27 > (3) I have 4 heat sensors in Gkrellm : 'k10temp' + 3 * 'it87'.
28 > Can anyone suggest which bit of which device each is measuring ?
29
30 Emerge lm_sensors and then run sensors to see what's what.
31
32 I am guessing the k10temp is the core temperature of the CPU and the it87 the
33 chip temperature sensors (3-off) from ACPI?
36 > The AMD Bulldozer X4 FX-4170 4-Core 4,2 GHz is taking c 3/8 as long
37 > to compile eg Firefox or GCC as this machine's Intel Core2 Duo ;
38 > they also seem to be using less Portage tempspace on disk.
39 > The variable-rate fan is very impressive, ranging 2200 - 6800 rpm .
42 Regards,
43 Mick