From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anti-aliasing
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:36:08
1 On Wednesday 30 January 2008 12:25:46 pm Mateusz Mierzwinski wrote:
2 > Jerry McBride pisze:
3 > > On Wednesday 30 January 2008 10:50:02 am econti wrote:
4 > >> Hi all,
5 > >> may be this is a stupid question but I am not able to set the
6 > >> anti-aliasing on firefox and thunderbird.
7 > >>
8 > >> Regards
9 > >> emilio
10 > >
11 > > You have a good trail to follow for your problem in the other messages...
14 > > For my problem, with regards to anti-aliasing... I have one computer
15 > > running kde that I can't turn on "sub-pixel hinting". The option is under
16 > > the Fonts tab in control settings, but it's greyed out... I'm not able to
17 > > tell why...
18 > >
19 > > Any hints? (pun intended)
20 >
21 > To use anti-aliasing You must have card with driver that allows to use
22 > RGBA colorspace in hardware mode. Currently new cards using that
23 > colorspace, but some older use only YUV* color spaces. Some cards on PCI
24 > slot with 2 MB memory and first cards on AGP slot using only YUV* color
25 > spaces. If you have such card, you can only emulate subpixel hinting,
26 > but not all drivers allowing to do this. If you can't use subpixel
27 > hinting, that will be problem of the driver or older card. Try to verify
28 > /etc/X11/xorg.conf for driver - is it realy driver for Your card, or
29 > just replace G.C. with some newer...
30 >
31 > Mateusz M.
32
33 Thanks for the post. Yes, this is a recent pcix nvidia and nvidia's own
34 drivers...
35
36 Thank you for the help.
46 From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride