From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 09:27:46
1 Howdy,
2
3 I mentioned in other threads that I'm doing some upgrades to my system.
4 My first question is about a CPU upgrade.  I currently have this for my
5 CPU, from cpuinfo:
6
7 AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor
8
9 I've bought but not yet installed a FX-8350 CPU.  I have this in my
10 make.conf file:
11
12 CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
13 USE_CPU="fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
14 pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
15 pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc
16 extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic
17 cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt
18 nodeid_msr hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save"
19
20 Those were put there ages ago, likely when I built and installed Gentoo
21 on this rig.  Do I need to change those to something that is compatible
22 with both CPUs and then change to the new CPU after it is installed?  Or
23 will the new CPU be close enough that it won't matter?  Right now, I
24 don't know for sure what the new CPU supports or doesn't.
25
26 Now to the second question.  I found a 8TB hard drive and bought it.  My
27 plan is to take my 6TB backup drive and install it in place of a 3TB
28 drive which has LVM on it.  I plan to use the 8TB drive as a external
29 backup drive in the end.  Will do a backup before changing internal
30 drives tho.  From what I've read, I can use pvmove and pvremove to
31 replace that drive.  Just tell pv to move the data and when done, remove
32 the old drive. After that, the new 6TB drive will be used in that PV and
33 the 3TB drive can be used for something else.  Is it really that easy or
34 is there more to it than that?  Pardon me but that doesn't sound
35 complicated enough to me.  lol
36
37 While at it, going from a 4 core CPU at 3.2GHz to a 8 core CPU at
38 4.0/4.2GHz, just how much increase can I expect?  Will it double and
39 that's about it or will it be more than that?  Also, since it has two
40 speeds, will it run at the slower or faster one?  Will it depend on
41 load?  I've never had a CPU with two clock speeds like this before.
42
43 Thanks in advance.
44
45 Dale