From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE? Get me out of here!
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:51:41
1 Kevin O'Gorman writes:
2
3 > As the OP, I'd like to know if anybody else has noticed how far OT this
4 > thread has gone?
5 > Somebody please give it a meaningful title, and maybe the right people
6 > will notice your thread....
7
8 But I think the title is just perfect! Well, not really, because, despite
9 my constant ranting and endless KDE4 problems, for which the only sane and
10 obvious solution would of course be to dump this whole crap, I would
11 really really hate to do so.
12
13 KDE got me addicted. I refused to use it for a long time, and had some
14 crazy enlightenment setup which I was happy with, until it stopped
15 working, and I gave KDE 3.something a try. I feared that the complexity
16 would make showstopping bugs happen more often, but on the other hand it
17 is of course nice to have an integrated system, with things like the same
18 file dialog for most applications. And so I got hooked. There were some
19 problems, but most of the time it worked well. But with time I experienced
20 some bitrot.
21
22 Then I got a new PC, and gave KDE4.2 a try. Many many bugs, but most of
23 them not really bad ones, but some nice new features instead. Like,
24 konqueror still crashing often, but with recovery function. Kmail crashed
25 even less - well, this was not hard. And I thought these little annoying
26 bugs would be fixed soon.
27
28 But this bugfixing progress was slower than expected. Some things never
29 really worked. And big showstoppers happened, just as I feared before I
30 began this whole KDE adventure. For example, when KDE4's password dialog
31 stopped working. Suddenly I had no access to the KDE wallet [*], could not
32 read or write e-mail, or access my shares. I realized how dependent I had
33 become of all this. Well, not totally, there are lots of other e-mail
34 clients, and I can do most things in a plain text shell, but this meant
35 some work, mostly because I had a hard time getting my passwords back.
36
37 On the other hand, I like my KDE setup. 8 desktops, each customized to the
38 activity I am doing there. Convenient shortcuts to the things I do, to the
39 locations I access. Geeky stuff. Nice software, like kontact. I really
40 really like this - if it works. When not, I think about dumping all.
41
42 Why am I writing all this? I don't know. Kevin, despite me considering
43 your thread as mine now, I will open a new one about specific problems.
46 [*] And a similar thing just happned yesterday. I wanted to go to bed, but
47 I had to write an important e-mail first. I started it, and after some
48 lines whole kontact froze. I killed it, started again, and the same
49 happened. I killed it, wrote an e-mail to myself, which worked. I started
50 the mail I had to write again, kontact froze after a little while. I
51 killed it, wrote the mail in knotes first, pasted it into the composing
52 window, added a CC, pushed the send button... kontact froze. Tried again,
53 same result. Then I used thunderbird.
54 I looked what I had emerged this day, but nothing had to do much with
55 kontact. I logged out and in again - and got dozends of notification
56 windows telling me that kwalletmanager just crashed. I'm still not sure
57 what had happened with kontact, I guess it wanted to access the wallet
58 when sending the mail, maybe also when making an automatic backup.
59 Whatever. I restored a backup of my .kde4 directory that I had made one
60 day ago, still no wallet. But with the next backup, 5 days old, I could
61 log in. I finally found out I had to exchange the
62 .kde4/share/apps/kwallet/kdewallet.kwl file, and all was back to normal.
63 And I could finally go to bed.
64
65 Wonko