From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dlna & Gentoo
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:49:34
1 On 28 Jan 2010, at 16:34, James wrote:
2 > ... Supposedly you can control the embedded web
3 > browser, via the DLNA protocol.
4
5 I don't really understand this sentence.
6
7 My experience is limited to the use of MediaTomb to stream .mp3 audio
8 & .mp4 video files from a Linux server to my PS3 for playback, and I
9 believe this is related to the hodgepodge of technologies which are
10 loosely assembled under the "DLNA" and "uPNP" brands.
11
12 However, in that case you use a standard web-browser to configure some
13 options on the server, and which directories to include. Being a Linux-
14 based server, MediaTomb does not have any special browser requirements.
15
16 I don't understand how you would control either a web-browser, or a
17 web-server, using DLNA.
18
19 My understanding of DNLA from reading the wikipedia article (which may
20 have been posted in this thread) is that it's not a protocol as such,
21 but more of a "work together" certification, although a loose one. If
22 your DNLA amplifier has a little embedded web-server, then its web-
23 pages must (as I read that) be viewable in the simple web-browser
24 installed on a Windows CE client. This is something of a
25 simplification, as AIUI there can be loads of other incompatibilities
26 when trying to actually stream the music between devices in the home.
27 But I would reckon that browser compatibility is the least of your
28 problems.
29
30 Stroller.