From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrade breaks virtualbox
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 15:42:11
1 On Sat, Nov 27, 2021 at 7:29 AM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > Simple problem, after a kernel upgrade, virtualbox no longer works. This
4 > is to be expected, of course, BUT ...
7 I can't offer any VirtualBox-specific solutions but I would try
8 reinstalling it as others have suggested (emerge -1
9 virtualbox-modules).
10
11 Some more general suggestions:
12
13 1. I use Virtualbox on Windows as there aren't a lot of good free
14 alternatives that I'm aware of. I stopped using it on Linux ages ago
15 because KVM/libvirt are generally much better these days.
16 app-emulation/virt-manager is a nice front-end for libvirt which will
17 be reminiscent of Virtualbox, but it uses the kernel's built-in KVM as
18 the engine and libvirt for management. You can use the nice gui of
19 course, but everything is also manageable via the command line and is
20 easily scriptable, or turned into services.
21
22 2. Anytime I'm using either out-of-kernel modules or more experimental
23 features in the kernel (zfs, nvidia binary drivers, btrfs, etc) I tend
24 to carefully control what kernel series I'm running. I pick an LTS
25 that is supported and stable for everything I'm doing, and stick with
26 it until the next LTS is stable and seems ok to me, and then I do some
27 testing before migrating. I just switched to 5.10 a few weeks ago.
28
29 In general you're unlikely to get regressions or issues with
30 out-of-tree drivers between minor releases (eg 5.10.81 to 5.10.82),
31 but depending on the software you can get them between major releases
32 (eg 5.4.162 to 5.10.82). Also, updates between minor releases tend to
33 be really trivial to build since the config files almost never change,
34 or at most a make oldconfig rarely gives you a single prompt to
35 answer.
36
37 Gentoo doesn't really manage kernel QA around out-of-tree modules.
38 Other distros will pick and choose - for example, if the distro wants
39 to support zfs as an option then it will only release stable kernels
40 that work with zfs. It is pretty easy though on Gentoo to just manage
41 your own kernel, so you don't have to worry about what out-of-tree
42 modules are/aren't supported officially. Of course you're still at
43 the mercy of upstream - if Nvidia doesn't want to release a driver for
44 your 20 year old GPU that works with a kernel that still gets security
45 updates then you're up the creek. That's just the price of using
46 out-of-tree modules.
47
48 This is just another reason to run KVM - everything it uses in kernel
49 space is built into the kernel, and basically "just works." The
50 userspace stuff doesn't care so much about kernel versions since the
51 syscall interface is stable.
54 Rich