From: Cliff Wells <cliff@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: amd64 installation: which file system?
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:22:37
1 On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 17:33 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > > Howdy,
4 > >
5 > > I did a install of Mandriva recently and found out this bit of info. If
6 > > you have frequent power failures and no UPS, do NOT use XFS. It was a
7 > > nightmare to get back up because of things not getting started again and
8 > > I just reinstalled Mandriva with reiserfs. It worked very well with
9 > > Reiserfs but XFS was not something I want to try on that machine again
10 > > for sure.
11 >
12 > Yes, it's well known that XFS sucks with unexpected power loss, Reiser
13 > and JFS less so. ext3 remains the most reliable filesystem.
14
15 I'd be curious who this is well-know to. The only XFS filesystem I've
16 ever lost (having used XFS exclusively since SGI started offering it on
17 RH 7.?) was due to bad RAM. There *have* been a couple of issues that
18 I'm aware of, but I'd hardly call it "sucking".
19
20 Regards,
21 Cliff
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list