From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] fetchmail + certs = problems
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 10:32:38
1 Hi,
2
3 fetchmail's log told me, that there is something wrong with the setup
4 of the certificats.
5
6 In the log there is the following section
7 fetchmail: Server certificate:
8 fetchmail: Issuer Organization: Thawte Consulting cc
9 fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: Thawte Premium Server CA
10 fetchmail: Subject CommonName: pop.gmx.net
11 fetchmail: pop.gmx.net key fingerprint: A6:57:BC:4A:97:AD:DB:99:00:E9:3A:B8:81:55:D7:B6
12 fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to get local issuer certificate
13 fetchmail: This means that the root signing certificate (issued for /C=DE/ST=Bayern/L=Munich/O=GMX GmbH/CN=pop.gmx.net) is not in the trusted CA certificate locations, or that c_rehash needs to be run on the certificate directory. For details, please see the documentation of --sslcertpath and --sslcertfile in the manual page.
14 fetchmail: Server certificate:
15 fetchmail: Issuer Organization: Thawte Consulting cc
16 fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: Thawte Premium Server CA
17 fetchmail: Subject CommonName: pop.gmx.net
18 fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: certificate not trusted
19 fetchmail: Server certificate:
20 fetchmail: Issuer Organization: Thawte Consulting cc
21 fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: Thawte Premium Server CA
22 fetchmail: Subject CommonName: pop.gmx.net
23 fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to verify the first certificate
24 fetchmail: Warning: the connection is insecure, continuing anyways. (Better use --sslcertck!)
27 In beforehand I did the following:
28
29 From the output of this command
30 #> openssl s_client -connect pop.gmx.net:995 -showcerts
31
32 I copied the section
33
34 -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
35 MIIDUzCCArygAwIBAgIQDNZUbIDJ5EM+DVSd5AzXOjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQUFADCB
36 zjELMAkGA1UEBhMCWkExFTATBgNVBAgTDFdlc3Rlcm4gQ2FwZTESMBAGA1UEBxMJ
37 Q2FwZSBUb3duMR0wGwYDVQQKExRUaGF3dGUgQ29uc3VsdGluZyBjYzEoMCYGA1UE
38 CxMfQ2VydGlmaWNhdGlvbiBTZXJ2aWNlcyBEaXZpc2lvbjEhMB8GA1UEAxMYVGhh
39 d3RlIFByZW1pdW0gU2VydmVyIENBMSgwJgYJKoZIhvcNAQkBFhlwcmVtaXVtLXNl
40 cnZlckB0aGF3dGUuY29tMB4XDTEwMDQyMjAwMDAwMFoXDTEzMDUwOTIzNTk1OVow
41 WDELMAkGA1UEBhMCREUxDzANBgNVBAgTBkJheWVybjEPMA0GA1UEBxQGTXVuaWNo
42 MREwDwYDVQQKFAhHTVggR21iSDEUMBIGA1UEAxQLcG9wLmdteC5uZXQwgZ8wDQYJ
43 KoZIhvcNAQEBBQADgY0AMIGJAoGBAMu3VYZP3YqpNweeIp+zIYtAlYL9Nya5hq6j
44 k+ShUtukV1746nqJto70+4oNhCYJ33mMw+vS5fODjuggG+Z1xcL5YU8mUyG2E7fH
45 YkfNtHHMhRntN15ml7Kv3c52kmOI09r2psnlNPkkNx5shneON8jZfXYlqQq5Vq1l
46 Hz+jEjFrAgMBAAGjgaYwgaMwDAYDVR0TAQH/BAIwADBABgNVHR8EOTA3MDWgM6Ax
47 hi9odHRwOi8vY3JsLnRoYXd0ZS5jb20vVGhhd3RlU2VydmVyUHJlbWl1bUNBLmNy
48 bDAdBgNVHSUEFjAUBggrBgEFBQcDAQYIKwYBBQUHAwIwMgYIKwYBBQUHAQEEJjAk
49 MCIGCCsGAQUFBzABhhZodHRwOi8vb2NzcC50aGF3dGUuY29tMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEB
50 BQUAA4GBAF/BVQRh2QOAtH8491d2XIKqdRZNY4OUMh6qccb0xLGNTDx3E4iwoYHc
51 yi2axElQG+7VAEIbDftzfhVUttsPwLI0BM2Nvz6KkwnlrJmt9HuZOjyv9M6szCxX
52 jHqVXkTDtrvRzT3hHTLD63l4PAqAUDpR4Th4N23IyxpgVqmYZwoJ
53 -----END CERTIFICATE-----
54
55 into a file "pop.gmx.net.pem" and copied ths file into
56 /etc/fetchmail/certs
57
58 Than I downloaded the whole package of root certificates from here
59 https://www.verisign.com/support/thawte-roots.zip
60 unpacked it and copied each *.pem file into /etc/fetchmail/certs also.
61 I renamend the files to not to contain blanks with detox.
64 Then I run as root the command
65 $> c_rehash /etc/fetchmail/certs
66
67 I checked /etc/fetchmail/certs and found all files being symlinked to
68 something which looks like hash keys (?).
69
70 c_hash does not submit any error message.
71
72 After this I added below the poll section of my accounts
73 $HOME/.fetchmailrc the following line:
74
75 sslcertpath /etc/fetchmail/certs
76
77 Nonetheless fetchmail complains about local certifcates.
78
79 What do I have to do to fix this ?
80
81 Best regards and thank you for any help in advance!
82 mcc