From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SDD, what features to look for and what to avoid.
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 09:19:26
2 > 3900X@2133 nvme 512G Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 11904 2858
3 > 3900X@3200 nvme 512G Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 15213 3032
4 >
5 > Oooooooo. <me wipes up the drool> That nvme speed is faaaasssssstttt. Do
6 > you happen to have the OS on that and if so, just how fast does it go from
7 > BIOS or Grub to bootup complete? I'm almost scared to ask.
10 Yep, everything's on the nvme except /var. From grub to console login
11 prompt is about 20 seconds, but it waits quite a while for the network
12 service to come up, perhaps because its using a bonded interface.
13
14 Booting is quick, but I really notice the speed when booting a win10 vm in
15 virtualbox, which takes about 15 seconds.
16
17 The system was delivered with the RAM running at 2133, so the auto speed
18 detection hadnt worked. Hardcoding it to the spec speed of 3200 took the
19 cache reads from 11.9Gig 15.2Gig...