From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Way OT] dial-up, switching isp's and other thoughts.
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:12:59
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Iain Buchanan wrote:
3 >> Dale wrote:
4 >>> Hi again,
5 >>>
6 >>> Same topic, same thread. Cool huh?
7 >>
8 >> [snip]
9 >>
10 >>> Anybody know of any problems with these folks? Somebody see something I
11 >>> missed? Oh, $9.95 is a lot better than $22.95. I noticed that right
12 >>> away.
13 >>
14 >> Are they monthly charges? Wow, that's about $150 per year. With
15 >> those savings you could afford a domain and someone to host it! If
16 >> you don't want a full blown web host, many places will just store your
17 >> email and manage the dns for you. Then you could have
18 >> dale@×××××××××××××××××××.com as your email address!
22 > I have thought of having my own site and stuff but being on dial-up just
23 > takes ALL the fun out of it. The dial-up out here sucks even on dial-up
24 > standards. I get 24Kb which is about 3KBs/sec.
25 > I plan to go talk to the cable company in a local town to see if they
26 > have any interest in putting cable out here. That would be so cool. I
27 > could get Vonage then and save another $500 or $600 a year.
28 >
29 > I'm also going to check on Net Zero in a little bit.
30 > Ideas welcome.
31 >
32 > Dale
33 >
35 Dale, do you get good cell phone reception out by you? You can get a
36 sprint aircard and a linksys router that has a pcmcia adapter in it to
37 split the signal. It's not blazing fast but @ 60/month it's way better
38 than dialup. BTW, I'm sure you can do it with providers other than
39 Sprint but I've only used the Sprint ones.
42 Eric Martin
43 Key fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F