From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual Boot Partitions
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:27:14
1 On 02/28/2011 06:39 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > On 28 February 2011 11:26, dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Thanks for all the input. It helped clear up a lot of questions. I
5 >> spent the weekend installing to Operating Systems and it looks like it
6 >> almost worked. I think the problem is in the Grub setup, so it should
7 >> be repairable once I find the mistake. If it's something else, I may be
8 >> doing this again next weekend.
9 >>
10 >> Thanks again,
11 >>
12 >> dhk
13 >
14 > What error does it give you?
15 >
16 > PS. Are you chainloading Gentoo from the MSWindows boot manager, or
17 > MSWindows from GRUB?
18
19 I did everything in Grub and haven't touched the MS Windows partitions
20 since the initial install.
21
22 The problem looks like Grub and some other stuff. Can't boot to Windows
23 or Linux. It looks like the Grub menu never comes up. However, it
24 seems to know about it, because the menu options can still gets executed
25 either after the time out or by pressing Enter. Then some stuff gets
26 printed to the screen and the boot process begins, but it errors before
27 the Operating Systems come up. When trying to boot to Windows, I have
28 no idea why it errors. When trying to boot to Linux, the fsck.ext3
29 fails on /dev/sda7 which is my root partition. It seems to think it's
30 ext2, but when I checked (by booting to the livecd) with tune2fs -j it
31 says it's already journaling. After the boot fails and I give the root
32 password, I looked in /dev and there aren't any sda partitions and I
33 have 12 on the disk. My disk looks like the following.
34
35 Filesystem ~Size Mounted
36 /dev/sda1 128M MS Windows 7 boot partition - HPFS/NTFS
37 /dev/sda2 50G MS Windows 7 - HPFS/NTFS
38 /dev/sda3 512M /boot - ext2
39 /dev/sda4 extended partition
40 /dev/sda5 512M swap
41 /dev/sda6 5G FAT32