From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] PPPoE ADSL modem choice
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 01:49:34
1 Hello list,
2
3 Not long ago I bought an Asus DSL-N14U and I've been impressed by its
4 abilities, especially since it's quite cheap. One feature I particularly like
5 is its guest networks (I have a lady of advanced years* next-door), of which
6 it can establish three. But its logging feature is woefully limited, whether
7 remote or local: I get lots of empty or incomplete log entries, which Asus
8 says it can't improve. It has a few other minor bugs too.
9
10 Does anyone here know of a "professional" version of this modem, or an
11 equivalent? I mean one that does the whole job, not just what it needs to do
12 to get past the marketing department**. I'd like proper logs, and finer
13 control over what traffic is allowed between wired and wireless LANs, and
14 to/from the WAN of course. Even suitable Google search terms would be good.
15
16 PPPoA is not used here in the UK as far as I know.
17
18 * Even more advanced than mine, and maybe even Walt's, and she suffers from
19 some other effects of age too (don't we all who are past Alec's tender
20 years?).
21
22 ** [OT] I once saw an entire company destroyed by its marketing department.
23 "Trust me, my boy," they said. They knew that all customers require ad-hoc
24 additions and alterations during the course of the project, which when added
25 up made them a profit. Wrong! We had a water-tight functional spec, complete
26 with minimum acceptable response times, and we insisted on a director-level
27 change-control board. Bad, bad news for them. They could see the writing on
28 the wall but they thought they knew better. How stupid can anyone be? Anyone
29 heard of Empros?
32 Rgds
33 Peter