From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Wireless sound card?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 23:00:45
1 On 31 Dec 2005, at 22:14, Grant wrote:
2 > ...
3 > http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/35816.html
4 >
5 > is about a programmer cracking the device and it says:
6 >
7 > "Johansen's efforts will enable users to escape the exclusive lock on
8 > iTunes music and stream music in AAC format (used in iTunes) from
9 > other applications."
10 >
11 > That sounds like the wrong kind of data is sent from the computer to
12 > the Airport. I just want the raw to-be-processed-by-sound-card data
13 > to be sent from the computer to the external sound card. That way I
14 > can use any digital source of music I like.
15 > Gentoo+VMware+Windows+Musicmatch+OnDemand is my favorite.
16
17 Hi there,
18
19 That article is, I think, slightly misleading. For all I know the
20 sound being transferred to the Airport Express may (or may not) have
21 some kind of AAC wrapper 'round it, but it is streaming audio - you
22 don't send filenname.mp3 to the device.
23
24 If you look at DVD John's homepage you'll find the the release notes
25 for his original "JustePort" software; in two examples I think you
26 can see Ogg & AAC files being piped to JustePort. I think this
27 implies that any audio can be piped to it - see how JustePort.exe
28 takes the argument "-" to indicate read from stdin?
29 http://nanocrew.net/software/justeport/
30
31 This blog discusses more about the Linux port, raop-play. Although on
32 its homepage it advertises itself as a GUI music player the blog
33 author suggests that JustePort remains underneath, "to stream your
34 music to AirPort", so presumably piping is still possible.
35 http://bulknews.typepad.com/blog/2004/12/airport_express.html
39 >> http://www.usr.com/products/device/p-device-product.asp?sku=USR6003
40 >
41 > That's much more like it, but it broadcasts from the
42 > computer+transmitter to the receiver by way of FM radio. That will
43 > hurt sound quality.
44
45 Indeed. It _is_ nice, cheap & simple, tho'.
48 > Have you seen anything like that that operates
49 > via 802.11?
50 >
51 > Ideally, this device would receive the to-be-processed-by-sound-card
52 > data from the laptop in the digital realm. It would then convert it
53 > to an analog signal and output it via standard RCA cables.
54
55 I'm sure this IS how Airport Express works.
56
57 Stroller
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list