From: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] RAID 1 over network
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:01:46
1 On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:40:46 +0200
2 Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all!
5 >
6 > Short:
7 > What is the best way to setup something similar to RAID 1 over a WAN?
8
9 ...
10
11 > One purpose of the setup is to have data redundancy. Thus we have to
12 > ensure that the data is replicated in a timely manner. Replicating MySQL
13 > data is not difficult. The problem is the file system data like uploaded
14 > documents and pictures. We can monitor changes in the file system and
15 > initiate rsync to copy files over the network, but I think it's not a
16 > good solution. What we are after is a network equivalent of RAID 1.
17 > Are there any viable solutions that could work over a WAN?
18
19 If replication after file is completely hit the disk is not acceptable
20 either because files are quite large or have to be really synchronous
21 then I'll second DRBD-with-HA-cluster-fs suggestion.
22
23 Otherwise, if it's acceptable to have each file replicated as soon as
24 it's fully stored on one node and link between nodes isn't good enough
25 clustered fs High-Availability features might play against you, but I
26 don't think rsync (via some sort of cron) is a good idea here, anyway.
27
28 You'd be better off using in-kernel dnotify / inotify reactors and
29 a simple script to track IN_MODIFY and IN_CREATE events, replicating
30 path in question (possibly via some sort of delta-transfer) as soon as
31 it hits the fs.
32 I even remember seeing inotify-tracking binary to use with common shell
33 scripts, although I believe any dedicated non-bash-hack implementation
34 should be better suited for such task.
37 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net