From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gru2-mkconfig tries to read the extended partition ??
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 22:59:19
1 On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 15:14:46 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > Actually I did have a bit of a fling with btrfs at that time, but I
4 > couldn't understand what the docs were telling me. I must have had a
5 > comprehension gap or something, but in the end I just went back to what
6 > I knew and reinstalled from backups. The BIOS is still in the MBR era
7 > anyway.
8 >
9 > Not wishing to hijack the thread,
10
11 Too late :)
12
13 > but out of interest, what would you
14 > recommend for this box with its old BIOS, and two SSDs with LVM2
15 > volumes? At present I have this fstab:
16 >
17 > /dev/md1 /boot ext2 relatime,noauto 1 2
18 > /dev/md5 / ext4 relatime,discard 1 1
19 > /dev/vg7/home /home ext4 relatime,discard 1 2
20 > /dev/vg7/common /home/prh/common ext4 relatime,discard 1 3
21 > /dev/vg7/boinc /home/prh/boinc ext4 relatime,discard 1 3
22 > /dev/vg7/virt /home/prh/.VirtualBox ext4 relatime,discard 1 3
23 > /dev/vg7/var /var ext4 relatime,discard 1 2
24 > /dev/vg7/portage /usr/portage ext4 relatime,discard 1 3
25 > /dev/vg7/packages /usr/portage/packages ext4 relatime,discard 1 2
26 > /dev/vg7/distfiles /usr/portage/distfiles ext4 relatime,discard 1 2
27 > /dev/vg7/local /usr/local ext4 relatime,discard 1 2
28 > /dev/vg7/tmp /tmp ext2
29 > relatime,nosuid,nodev,noexec 1
30 > 2 /dev/vg7/vartmp /var/tmp/ ext4
31 > relatime,discard,nosuid,nodev 1 2
32 >
33 > I've omitted quite a few other partitions that don't bear on my
34 > question. /dev/vg7 is on /dev/md7.
35
36 Are the 2 SSDs in a RAID? If so, I'd give btrfs RAID a try, you just need
37 to get your hear round the concepts of volumes and sub-volumes. Before
38 using btrfs for real, I created a couple of loopback disk files to play
39 around with the options.
40
41 You couuld probably switch over with minimal downtime by failing one of
42 the SSDs and removing it from the RAID. Create a single device btrfs
43 filesystem on it and copy the data over. Once you are happy with it, add
44 the other disk and convert to RAID1.
48 Neil Bothwick
49
50 "I'm Not Sure If I'm Homosexual", Said Tom, Half In Earnest.