From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] net.eth0 won't work!
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:42:29
1 Am Mittwoch 19 August 2009 21:10:27 schrieb Michael Sullivan:
2 > A couple of weeks ago my ten year-old(ish) server box died. I've wanted
3 > to replace it for a long time, and last week we finally did. We took it
4 > to our local computer shop to have a new hard drive installed, as the
5 > old one used an IDE hard drive and the new PC's motherboard doesn't
6 > support that. The tech cloned the IDE drive onto a SATA drive and
7 > installed the new SATA. We got it back this morning. I've re-built the
8 > kernel several times over the past few hours, and I cannot get net.eth0
9 > to work when not booting from the livecd. I've got the error message,
10 > lspci and lsmod from the last boot off the hard drive (though I had to
11 > boot with the livecd in order to copy it to my main PC to send it to
12 > you). The error message is:
13 >
14 > * Starting eth0
15 > * Bringing up eth0
16 > * 192.168.1.2
17 > * network interface eth0 does not exist
18 > * Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)
19 > [ !! ]
22 > The old box used 8139too, but e1000 is what I use on my newer machines.
23 > I modprobed it, and still the error message didn't change. Here's
24 > lspci:
25
26 No e1000 here:
27
28 > 00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)
29 > and here's lsmod:
30
31 Wow, that's a lot, do you really need all this? But here, too, e1000 not used:
32
33 > Module Size Used by
34 > e1000 102232 0
35