From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unwelcomed non-native language support
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 12:13:57
1 Am Sat, 30 May 2015 14:59:12 +0300
2 schrieb gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
3
4 > 2015-05-30 14:31 GMT+03:00 <rhannek@×××.de>:
5 > > On 30/05/15 14:07, gevisz wrote:
6 [...]
7 > > No. It's about localizing web pages with gettext. gettext is on the
8 > > server side. The server sets a locale for the session and then localizes
9 > > your page accordingly via calls to gettext before you even get the page.
10 > >
11 > > Basically on your first visit yt tries to guess your locale based on
12 > > several parameters. Mainly the Accept-Language http header (the thing in
13 > > Settings->Content which you already found). It stores whatever your
14 > > current setting is in your cookies and whenever you visit yt or have a
15 > > video embedded in some site this cookie determines the language for yt
16 > > content.
17 >
18 > Ok, thank you for explanation. If the localization is done on the server
19 > side, then cleaning the cookies should help and it indeed helped: the
20 > menu returned to its English view as soon as I deleted all my cookies
21 > from youtube.
22 >
23 > >> Moreover, if the menu "is from the site and not from firefox", why I
24 > >> get it in English from the other instance of the Firefox run in the
25 > >> same environment?
26 > >
27 > > It probably uses the same cookies.
28 >
29 > Probably you meant "the different cookies."
30 >
31 > > [1] http://youtube.com
32 >
33 > Too late get your explanation about checking the "yt language."
34 > Now, after deleting all youtube cookies, it is set to English as desired.
35
36 Great that you got it to work :) .
39 Marc Joliet
40 --
41 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
42 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup