From: Colin Wildsmith <cwildsmith@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Superblock error
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:57:07
1 Ok ive found out how to modify the files eg
5 Insert livecd
6
7 # mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
8 # mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
9 # mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
13 Then i went to the fstab file on the drive (not on the disk) and modified
14 it;
15
16 It reads
20 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
21 -----------
22
23 /dev/BOOT /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
24
25 /dev/ROOT / ext3 noatime 0 1
26
27 /dev/swap none swap sw 0 0
28
29 /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 mnt/cdrom iso996 noauto,user
30 0 0
31
32 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
33 -------------
37 However, gentoo still does not boot? The error is;
41 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
42 --------------
43
44 Fsck.ext3: No sufh file or directory while trying to open /dev/ROOT
45
46 /dev/ROOT:
50 The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
51 filesystem. IF the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
52 filesystem (and not swap or anything else), then the superblock is corrupt,
53 and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock: e2fsck -b
54 8193 <device>
55
56 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
57 -------------------------------
61 Ive tried "e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda1"
62
63 Which also failed, no such file!
67 Can somebody please help me???
71 Colin
75 _____
76
77 From: Colin Wildsmith [mailto:cwildsmith@×××××××××××.au]
78 Sent: Wednesday, 25 January 2006 7:32 AM
79 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
80 Subject: [gentoo-user] Superblock error
84 Hello all,
85
86 I have just tried the Gentoo challenge (installing Gentooo from the minimal
87 CD) and have failed. :-(
88
89 I get an error stating that
93 "The superblock could not be read of does not describe a correct ext2
94 filesystem.."
98 Im almost sure that its an error in my fstab file? However I try and change
99 it by
100
101 mount /dev/hda1
102
103 nano /etc/fstab
107 I can see the file however I can not write to it.
111 How can I modify my files?
115 Colin