From: "Benjamen R. Meyer" <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Firewall & UPNP
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:33:45
1 I would like to be able to fully participate in Torrents for downloading
2 ISO, such as the Gentoo ISOs. However, since my gentoo/iptables firewall
3 currently is not forwarding any ports to my client systems, so I appear
4 as a torrent leech - I'd like to try to change that.
5
6 I'm using kTorrent under Gentoo/KDE, which supports interfacing via UPNP
7 to enable specific forwarding, which I would like to try to take
8 advantage of for security reasons.
9
10 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_UPnP_with_IPTables
11
12 I noticed the URL above on how to do UPNP via linux-igd, but I'm not
13 sure that's what I want. I searched emerge for UPNP and saw a number of
14 packages in the list. I was wondering if anyone here has had any
15 experience (good/bad/otherwise) on setting up a Gentoo-based ipTables
16 Firewall for UPNP, or what packages people might recommend for it.
17
18 While I am mostly concerned with having kTorrent work on my Gentoo
19 Desktop, I might also be interested in using BitTorrent on a Win2k
20 Laptop too - I don't know if it supports UPnP or not (possible), but if
21 it was easy to support, I might be inclined to. (If not, no big loss.)
22 So I'd welcome thoughts on that as well towards the above questions.
23
24 TIA,
25
26 Ben