From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub Error 21: Selected disk does not exist
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 20:06:05
1 On Saturday 17 January 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I just did an install onto a machine with a single internal IDE
3 > hard drive. hda1 is Win2K (NTFS), hda2 is swap, hda3 is Gentoo
4 > root (ext3).
5 >
6 > I was following the "quick install" doc, and everything went
7 > fine until I got to the section on installing grub. After
8 > emerging grub, the "root" command failed:
9 >
10 > grub> root (hd0,2)
11 >
12 > Error 21: Selected disk does not exist
13 >
14 > I tried hd0,hd1,hd2,hd3 with various paritions from 0 to 2 and
15 > always got an Error 21. The drive is recognized correctly by
16 > the BIOS, and Win2K boots and runs fine. I rebooted and
17 > chroot'ed several times and always got Error 21.
18 >
19 > So, I downloaded a Grub CD from http://www.supergrubdisk.org/.
20 > The grub on the CD recognized the disk and all partitions
21 > correctly and installed just fine using the normal procedure:
22 >
23 > root (hd0,2)
24 > setup (hd0)
25 >
26 > I rebooted, and everything works great.
27 >
28 > Any ideas on why grub couldn't see any hard drives when it was
29 > run from the 2008.0 minimal install CD's chroot'ed environment?
30 > I've done dozens of Gentoo installs, and I've never seen this
31 > problem before.
32
33 Did you try tab completion at:
34
35 grub> root ( <--tab
36
37 Had you chrooted properly at the time and could you see the grub fs
38 under /boot/grub ?.
39 --
40 Regards,
41 Mick