From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simplified apache2
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:18:57
1 On 9/12/06, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I used 2006.1 livecd to install a pII machine. It's going
4 > to become a (minimalistic) apache2 server. I just let the
5 > installation
6 > set the flags for the install so I have these flags currently:
7
8 <snip>
9
10 Those look a bit excessive for a "minimalist" machine. I would start over ;-)
11
12 > Some of these flag look questionable, such as the one with
13 > underscores (kernel_linux userland_GNU) as I only found
14 > information on them, where they are describe as 'undocumented
15 > use flags'. What's up with these flags?
16
17 My understanding is that these are set in the profile and simply tell
18 portage that you are using Linux. I don't think there is any way
19 (short of profile hacking) to change them. So don't worry about it.
20
21 > Where do I look to discern the minimal list of (necessary) system
22 > flags that
23 > must be kept? (I want to avoid negating any flags that are critical).
26 > These are my proposed list of flags:
27
28 <snip>
29
30 Still a little excessive in my opinion. The approach that I would (do)
31 take is to put only the bare minimum use flags in make.conf and
32 override the rest on a per-package level in /etc/portage/package.use.
33
34 > So can I just use this list, or do I have to include a -{flag} for each one?
35 >
36 > IS there simpler syntax to globally remove unwanted flags [-*], but, not any
37 > critical system flags? (Is this the same as just leaving the flag out
38 > of the USE param. setting in make.conf?
41 -* will work but be careful it can break things if you don't know what
42 your doing.
43
44 > Are there default system flag settings that I can safely remove?
45 > Where is the list and how do I know which ones can be removed or negated?
46 >
47 > My (limited) understanding of flags are that the highest priority are
48 > those set in /etc/portage/package.use, then /etc/make.conf then
49 > the system default flags which may be located in several locations.
50 > Is there any docs or listing of all of these location and details
51 > on precedence?
52
53 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=2
54
55 OK, my advice to you would be to start over with a hardened profile.
56 While hardened is not specifically required I highly recommend it if
57 this is just going to be a headless server machine.
58
59 You probably want to set your machine up with a similar USE= string in make.conf
60
61 USE="-* hardened pic ncurses ssl crypt berkdb tcpd pam perl python readline"
62
63 I believe that is the bare minimum if you use -*. Now you can compile
64 your system and you have a blank slate to start working with. As you
65 start emerging packages just make sure you use the -pv flags for
66 emerge and check out the available use flags and add the ones you want
67 to /etc/portage/package.use. Here is an example of my package.use line
68 for apache2
69
70 net-www/apache mpm-prefork threads
71
72 This setup works smashingly for me on my production servers by YMMV.
73 Best of luck.
74
75 -Mike
79 Michael E. Crute
80 http://mike.crute.org
81
82 I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended
83 up where I intended to be. --Douglas Adams
84 --
85 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list