From: wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Another X11 problem
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 14:46:36
1 Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On 2016-08-20 10:58 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >
5 > > > Once or twice per week, when I start X11 (via the startx program),
6 > > > my display goes all black. When it happens there is no way back
7 > > > to a working state: I can see that Xorg is running, I can exit it
8 > > > by hitting Ctl-Alt-Backspace, but even then display does not
9 > > > recover. The only thing I can do is hit Ctl-Alt-Del blindly and
10 > > > reboot, and next time it usually works.
11 > >
12 > > Can you get back to a VC with Ctrl-Alt-F1/2?
13 >
14 > Good question, I am sure I tried that, but I _think_ it didn't work.
15 > (The only way to _know_ would be to hit Ctl-Alt-Del next and see if it
16 > reboots, and I'll make sure I try doing just that next time it
17 > happens.) I do know that nothing appears on the screen even if the
18 > switch succeeds.
19
20 How is your monitor connected to your PC (HDMI, DVI, DP, VGA)? I also had
21 such a problem some months ago after I connected my monitor via DP. For
22 some reason sometimes the video output of my graphics card was only sent
23 to its DVI port and not to the DP.
24 However after a update of xorg and its components this error was gone.
27 Regards
28 wabe